Monday, January 3, 2011

A cashmere face cuddler please...

I was inspired to do this blog post because I had a dream...It all started like this...No, I'm kidding, but between traveling, being sick, dry indoor heating, and well, just winter,  I've taken more hits to my already super dry skin then one can imagine. I've decided to compile my favorites for successfully combating this issue by sharing some of my favorite products with...Some of these like the RODIN oil I use daily. The others, I mix and match, sort of self prescribing depending on how dry my skin is and the way that I want my face to feel on a particular day. Make no mistake though,  I love them all dearly like children...

I'm always dry, even in the summer. I just appear oilier because the heat makes me sweat, but 90% of the time, and a good 90% of my skin is dry. Always have been, most likely always will be. I've always loved and endorsed washing ones skin with oil (yes, even you oily types out there, just use a lighter weight oil) but I've also come to moisturizing my skin with it as well.

1. RODIN Olio Lusso luxury face oil:

I was initially introduced to this stuff backstage at Ralph Lauren a few seasons ago via Tom Pechaux. It quickly became not only a backstage show staple, but also a favorite for myself AND my makeup kit.  Plain and simple this stuff is a liquid moistuizer. Jam packed with essential oils like jojoba, jasmine & neroli just to name a few, this stuff not only moisturizes but has a ton of side benefits like maintaining skin suppleness and elasticity, promoting clarity and luminosity, scar reduction etc. It's amazing backstage as its fast absorption doesn't interfere with the application of foundation and other makeup, its wondrous to pat over your face on long flights and even proved highly effective while I was out this past week on 'project snow removal' from the most recent blizzard that past through...As with most luxury goods, it comes with an equally luxurious pricetag. Rodin Olio Lusso face oil retails for USD $140.00 and its worth EVERY penny! Nothing has ever left my skin feeling so soft...NOTHING!!!! I swear that this is one of my most favorite products EVER!! Get yours here.

For those of you who don't want to tip your Hermes wallets this much, another similar more wallet friendly semi alternative is: Josie Maran's Organic Argan Oil that comes in right under USD $50.00 Though not as jam packed with amazing ingredients, its still good.

2. Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream Skin Protectant:



Yes, the classic...It's been around forever and for good reason. Great for moisturizing those super dry spots, soothing windburn and severly chapped lips, dry cuticles and awesome to dollop on select areas of the face for strategic shine. I'm going snowboarding in a few weeks and this stuff will be packed along to participate in all apres snowboarding activities...For those of you who no matter what I say about face oil are going to refuse to go there, 8 hr. cream may be more up your alley. Its thick, but it just needs a little bit of warming up and it will glide on like butter on toast... A 1.7oz is going to run you about USD $17.00


3. Weleda Skin Food & Face Balm:

Weleda Skin food is another makeup artist classic and kit staple. Organic, rich, intensely moisturizing & hydrating, you can actually use Skin Food, not only on the face, but anywhere on the body too...


The Face Balm is great for outdoor exposure. It does just what it sounds like it does: protects your skin from wind,  environmental factors & other elements while providing the ultimate in moisturizing...USD$17.50 and USD$ 16.00 respectively.


4. Kiehl's Creme d'Elegance Repairateur:
 This cream was my first introduction to an intense facial moisturizing cream many years ago when I was on a job up in Canada in during the winter. It's rich and silky with a good 'slip' to it with, and by far the heaviest of all in feel, but not in an annoying, uncomfortable way. If your super super dry like I can be at times, you will welcome the texture. We've been on and off besties ever since...


5. Avene Cold Cream Intense Moisturizing Cream:


Intensely Hydrating, almost calming upon application. Although rich and creamy, its not at all heavy in feel. Its also great if your very dry and have sensitivity issues. USD $18.00 and you can find out for yourself what I'm talking about...As a side, Avene is also my favorite brand for non-scented thermal spa water facial spray.

I think it should be noticed that each and everyone of the aforementioned products also have a corresponding and equally fabulous and effective counterpart for the body. So yes, that means that Olio Lusso also has an amazing Luxury Body Oil and the Avene has a whole entire line of Cold Cream moisturizer products.  Pick and choose as part of skincare is how you want it to leave your skin feeling; the other part is how you want/need it to perform both on its own and with other products.


These last 2 although specific to just the body are also worth the mention:

Lay it On Thick Intense Moisture Shea Body Cream:


 I use this on my entire body primarily in the winter months when its cold and dry, but on my feet all year round (utter heaven).  Even though its implied in the name, I want you to be clear on the fact that this moisturizer is thick. It's also silky, soft & luxurious in feel and uber moisturizing.  USD$20.00 and its yours from Bath & Body Works.


Palmers Cocoa Butter Moisturizing Gel Oil SPF15



Palmer's has been in the game for a long time, they've gotten it right so I'm sorry but there's not much else to say about this product. Just posting the picture and the link of where to get it should be sufficient enough. I will say that an added bonus to its superior moisturizing qualities is that since its an oil, it also imparts a slight sheen to the skin. Barelegged ladies (yes even in the winter) unite!  If you've got hyper-sensitivity to sunscreen (I do not), tread according as this product contains it. Yours for USD$ 7.70

Slather and lather away my friends...



photos: courtesy of their respective corporate website

No comments:

Post a Comment