Saturday, January 16, 2010

I know you Got Soul...

A song from one of my favorite hip-hop duos of all time: Eric B & Rakim. I found the first several lines quite appropriate as I have not posted since the New Year came in and quite frankly, It has been a longtime and I'm sure you feel like I've left you.

Never that...Rest assured that this is not the case. I've been working diligently since 2010 entered. I've fought through that cold/fu thing that seems to last for 2 weeks at least that EVERYONE got and have been shooting some pretty cool things. Several behind the scenes posts that I actually have in the queue now must wait, as the first is scheduled to hit print and newstands for March 2010, so, I apologize that I'm not able to share it now...

What I will share now though, are the lyrics to the first verse of "I Know You Got Soul" and know that a new post is coming sooner than you think...

"It's been a long time, I shouldn't have left you
Without a strong rhyme to step to
Think of how many weak shows you slept through
Time's up, I'm sorry I kept you
Thinking of this, you keep repeating you miss
The rhymes from the microphone soloist
And you sit by the radio, hand on the dial, soon
As you hear it, pump up the volume
Dance with the speaker 'till you hear it blow
Then plug in the headphones cause here it go
It's a 4 letter word when its heard, it control
Your body to dance (you got it) soul...
Ditects your body like a red alert
reaches your reflex, so let it work
When this is playing, you can't get stuck wit
The steps so get set & I'm a still come up wit
a gift to be swift...follow the leader, the rhyme will go
Def wit the record that was mixed a long time ago
It can be done,
but only I can do it
for those that can dance and clap ya hands to it
I start to think
and then I sink,
into the paper,
like I was ink
When I'm writing I'm trapped in between the lines...
I escape, when I finish the rhyme,
I got soul..."

-Eric B. & Rakim from the album 'Paid In Full' 1987




No comments:

Post a Comment