Wednesday, April 27, 2011

At the Cinema...



I'm a big documentary buff. It's actually the sole reason why I signed up for a subscription to NetFlix. I went to see Beautiful Darling: the Life & Times of Candy Darling, Andy Warhol Superstar today at the IFC. It's a documentary culled from live interviews, vintage footage and diary entries of the late Warhol Superstar & protege Candy Darling, a gorgeous transsexual personality of the late 1960's, and early 70's underground scene who was obsessed with stardom, hollywood, celebrity, beauty and being blonde. It's a beautiful look at a New York era that no longer exists: the people who populated the New York 'downtown', the back room at Max's Kansas City & the universe of Andy Warhol.

I had been waiting to see this film for quite some time as I love Andy Warhol but I also love this particular long gone era in New York. I also loved Candy Darling and how she created her own persona & celebrity. Once she perfected her look and came into her own, her look was quite stunning. I always love a symmetric eye with a good crease and a slight downturn at the edges; Candy Darling embodied that beautiful 70's look that I adore so much:

Candy Darling w/ Andy Warhol ph: Cecil Beaton
ph: Anton Perich         

(Gotta LOVE a lavender eye and a red/orange lip...)


ph: Gerard Malanga

ph: Peter Beard



I highly recommend that if this film screens at a cinema near you (most likely an independent one) to go and see it. So very good on so many levels...See a preview of the film here and get more information about screenings at the official film website.

No comments:

Post a Comment